Monday, December 5, 2011

Irresistible


Meet Henry, the newest addition to the menagerie.
I had no intention of adding another baby to our household but I was placed in a completely unfair position.
It's not my fault.
Really.
I couldn't help myself.


You see, this fall Melissa talked me into volunteering with her at the Animal Rescue League of Iowa. She wanted to work with the cats and kittens and isn't allowed to be there without an adult - I guess that's supposed to be me - with her.
Reluctantly I went through orientation and training with her, worried about my weakness, yet buoyed by the fact that I really wasn't feeling that "need."
You know the one I mean; that urgency for a baby that, since my husband said four children were enough, has been transferred quite handily to cats and dogs (and rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, rats, etc., through the years).



But then it happened.
One cold and rainy day Melissa and I walked into the cat room at the rescue league and there he was. This itty bitty ball of fur, all scraggly and dirty, staring out at me through the bars of his cage.
Usually we avoid the kittens, knowing they will all get adopted, and instead spend our volunteer hours with the adult cats. We sit in one of the large cat rooms and immediately the cats are all over us, on our laps, playing, begging to be brushed. Desperate for love.
But this day, oh, this day, I made the mistake of taking this little furry wad out of the cage to fancy him up with a little brushing. As soon as I touched him he veritably vibrated with purring.


I was hooked.
There was no way I could leave that day without this tiny, rumbling fur ball in my arms.
And, the rest is history.
Henry has been a part of our family for more than a month now. He has shown himself to be a kitten with 'tude, and is often seen strutting down the hallway growling to himself. He and our other kitten, Floyd, who is just a little over a year old, have a high old time together.
All the old cats are a little incredulous that I brought home another one, but they've mostly forgiven me.
And they mostly ignore Henry, which seems to be just fine with him.

1 comment:

Judy T said...

Oh, he is adorable. Who could resist that cute little face...
Judy