Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Hibernator

Apparently, I have more in common with bears than I thought.
Of course, there's the fact that since shorts weather faded away, my legs see the sharp side of a razor less and less often.
There's also the fact that as winter slowly descends, my appetite gradually increases.
But these similarities only scratch the surface.
My daughters started to notice in early November that as the days shortened, my desire to stay home - just stay home - increased.
As it gets colder and colder, darker and greyer, my desire to venture out into the world tapers off.
Apparently, I hibernate.
From November until late March, depending on the weather, I am most content to remain at home, day-in and day-out. I like to sit by the fire, reading, crocheting, sipping hot chocolate or coffee, and am perfectly content never to venture too far from the back door. In fact, I'm happiest when someone else is home to take the dogs out and bring in the firewood - then I don't have to leave at all!
This tendency can be quite frustrating to those who don't share it - especially if those people are dependent on said hibernator for transportation. So I try, really I do, to accommodate some of their desires to run to the mall, the library, the bookstore (really, Mom, take us anywhere, please!!!) but I'm afraid there is a lot of accommodation required of them as well.
My husband and I have been talking about where we want to retire - the idea of being an old lady in the 'hood doesn't thrill me. But you know what does? A house outside of town on 10 acres. Maybe 20 minutes or so from the city. A place where I could get snowed in and it wouldn't matter. A place of solitude for when hibernation season rolls around.
I think I could be perfectly content with "going to town" once or maybe twice a week.
Of course, there's the issue of being a little old lady snowed in 20 minutes outside of town, but that doesn't seem so bad to me right now.
You'll have to check back with me in the spring.

No comments: