Monday, December 29, 2008

Medical Idiocy

http://thecornerstonegroup.files.wordpress.com


I'm a believer in modern medicine.
I immunize my children, tend to follow recommendations of the AMA and other medical organizations, and try to keep myself educated on the latest medical advances and how they apply to myself and my family.
My experiences with medical professionals, unlike many of my friends', basically have been beneficial and satisfactory.
But in the last two weeks two separate occasions of medical idiocy have certainly raised my ire.
First, my oldest son, 20, will be traveling to South Africa for the spring semester, studying at a university in Peitermaritzburg. He needs a physical before traveling, which also seemed a good time to have some, what I thought would be routine, blood work.
You see, Stephen has taken SSRI's for depression and ocd since he was 10 years old. About 6 years ago, an atypical antipsychotic was added to the mix. Thankfully, he has conquered the worst of his mental illness.
But the long term effects of taking SSRIs on the liver and other body systems, especially of someone who starts taking them at such a young age, are relatively unstudied at this point. To me, this points to the need for a liver profile every few years to make sure his liver function is normal.
The atypical antipsychotic, Abilify, has known side effects - ones that are even mentioned in it's TV ads, that require monitoring. Among these are weight gain, which Stephen has had, and the possibility of increased blood sugar. Call me stupid, but haven't we been hearing the past few years about the link between elevated blood sugar and excess weight leading to diabetes? It seemed only prudent for Stephen's blood sugar to be checked to make sure he hasn't incurred any of these side effects.
I guess I was wrong.
When Stephen went to his doctor's appointment, he requested that these two tests - the liver profile and blood sugar evaluation - be ordered. The family practice doctor insisted on calling the D.O. who prescribes his mental health medications to see if he had "ordered" these tests. The /ding-a-ling/ "doctor" - a psychopharmacologist no less, refused to order the tests.
The family practioner wouldn't order them either.
I thought we were supposed to be proactive and take charge of our own medical care. I can't get over that I - with no medical training and a B.A. in journalism - seem to know more about monitoring my son's health than two - count 'em - two different doctors.
We are in a bit of a tight place in this situation, being that my son is an adult and his medical care is no longer technically our purvue.
So, what is the message the medical establishment - or perhaps it's the insurance industry - is sending me? Is there no point in seeking out medical knowledge? Am I merely supposed to meekly fade into the sunset and leave my health - and that of my family - in the hands of these "professionals" who seem to know less about the possible side effects of my son's medications than I do?
The only solution we've come up with is for my husband to take time off work next week and accompany my son to the doctor's office.
What an unnecessary waste of time and money for all involved.

My second run-in with medical stupidity was this morning with the receptionist/nurse at my children's pediatrician. Michael was on the phone scheduling booster shots - as I said, I am a firm believer in the miracles that are immunizations.
Last fall I took Melissa, my 11-year-old, in for her chicken pox booster only to discover, much to my chagrin, that she was running a fever. She couldn't have the shot that day since she was ill. An article in today's newspaper about the upsurge in Whooping Cough cases throughout the natoin reminded me that she still needed the chicken pox booster and might need the Whooping Cough booster as well.
Whew. So, DH called to schedule the appointment only to encounter the ditz who mans the phones. She couldn't find whether Melissa still needed the Whooping Cough booster. Frustrating, but I can understand her not wanting to search while on the phone.
But then she said it.
The unforgiveable.
"There is no chicken pox booster."
For the uninformed, such as my DH, that might have been enough to keep a parent from properly - fully - immunizing their child.
I insisted that of course there is, it's recommended, and she in fact had been scheduled at their clinic to have it in September.
The ditz put us on hold - I'm sure she checked with another of the nurses or perhaps a doctor - coming back on the line to say, "Well, there's not a required booster, it's just recommended."
DUH.
It's recommended because tests have shown that the initial immunization wears off over time, potentially leaving an adult vulnerable to chicken pox, which can be extrememly dangerous.
And as for "required" immunizations, as I explained to DH, there aren't any "required" immunizations except by the public school system.

3 comments:

immbas said...

you should read the book, "Mad in America." It's at Amazon. Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Oh ACK!!! That is so frustrating, especially with the two visits coming so close together. It does erode one's confidence in the medical system. I can't believe how they were, not even considering to order the tests. It's a test! Its a way to be safe and reassured that nothing is wrong. And if the patient (or family) requests it, why on earth not if the test itself isn't harmful? I'd be fuming too.

Anonymous said...

I experienced a similar problem. When I bought my iPhone, I first checked with “Got Reception?” (Gotreception.com) It’s a great resource for finding out where reception problems are most likely to occur BEFORE you lock yourself with a specific carrier.