Thursday, December 18, 2008

Loose Ends

Back in September we bought a bushel of onions from a local farmer at the Des Moines Downtown Farmer's Market. I fully intended on chopping and freezing most of the onions, but along about the end of the month I ran out of steam.
I pretty much came to a complete food storage standstill.
Fortunately, the onions kept quite well in our basement until last month when some of them started to go bad.
And believe me, when onions go bad, you want to duck and run.
Pew!


Enter my wonderful darling husband who spent hours chopping and freezing over Thanksgiving weekend. Some people I know have commented on how much I get done. There are times when I'm quite efficient and manage to can/freeze/create quite successfully.
But I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge that Michael does a fair share of the work. He's the one who processed all the corn we froze this year. He helped me make the pickles, can the tomatoes and peaches, and peeled and froze his share of apples for pies.
Basically, when I drop the ball, more often than not Michael catches it.

Sometimes I feel as if I'm not pulling my weight around the house, though I do much more than I was able even just a year ago. But Michael always - and I mean always - assures me that we are a partnership.

We've always treated our marriage and home life that way. I stayed home and cared for the kids, he went out and earned our income. But we always shared housework, cleanup duty and yardwork. He was always willing to pitch in with the kids at the end of a long day at work, just as I (though not always graciously) understood his need to work overtime or go on long working trips to Hawaii in February.

I am so thankful to have found this caring, giving and gorgeously handsome man. Our marriage is a partnership, a friendship, and a love affair.

It doesn't get much better than that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all jealous...no fair. I think he's a keeper.

Anonymous said...

A keeper indeed is that husband, he really seems like a partner in the truest sense of the world.
I'm just staring at the pictures of your onions in awe, that's a lot of chopping! And of course, you have me jumping off the computer to give my own onions a quick check to make sure they are still in good health over in my garage, hee hee ;-)