Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Brrrr!


It's been crazy cold here the past two days.
I should know, since I've been spending a good share of the early daylight hours outdoors.
With this pretty little princess:


She's definitely feeling better since the antibiotics for her UTI kicked in, which is a relief.
In a way.
I'm no longer running outside with her every 5 minutes, but she's feeling better.
Feeling better + puppy = crazy, frenetic energy = longer playtimes outdoors.
Did I mention that the temperature at 1 p.m. today was 6 degrees?

So, lately I've found myself bundling up and trudging outdoors with Ivy and Wally. Their relationship is slowly developing, but there is one problem.
Wally is a grouchy old man.



He will only consent to actively play with Ivy for 1/2 hour in the morning and that's it.Oh, and he won't play before he's had his breakfast, so that puts play time at approximately 7 a.m.Guess where I am then?Yup.From 7 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. each morning you'll find me in my yard trying not to freeze to death while the dogs romp and play in the snow.

After he gives me that single half hour, Wally is done for the day.
If I take him out to play with Ivy again, he will go potty then stand on the steps staring at the door to be let back in.
Believe me, I know how he feels.


Ivy, on the other hand, loves be outside in the cold and the snow. She's happy to plop right down in the frigid wasteland of my backyard and take a little rest. Unfortunately, indoors she's not ready to rest for the day until about 1 p.m., which gives me a good 6 hours of crazy each and every day.

You'd think I would have been better prepared for this, since the two other dogs we've owned were both puppies in the winter time.
I hate to admit it, but I think I'm too old for this.
But experience tells me that this too shall pass.


And she's really sweet when she's asleep.

2 comments:

zamozo said...

OMG! She's grown so much just in the four days since I last saw her! Such a doll! So glad to know she's feeling better. Sorry it's so cold for your outdoor babysitting.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to keep reminding myself....no puppies in the winter,no puppies in the winter. Our dog was a puppy when my children were less than a year and 4. We all had to get dressed up to go outside each time. I also had to old a slipper puffy baby on my hip and a dog on the other hand.
It's usually too late by the time we get ourselves into those types of messes and we are stuck making it through.