Friday, January 30, 2015

#100HAPPYDAYS - Day 11 / Fiber

About to cast on project #3,259




Nothing makes me happier than starting a new project.
Well, maybe ordering supplies for a new project.
Or a big box of yarn in mail...

It's hard to describe a fiber addiction to those who don't share the love.
My husband, for example, likes to ask me what I plan to make when I show him my latest fiber acquisition, failing to understand that while the right project may come along, the yarn itself has spoken and must be had.

I'm kind of like a yarn collector, purchasing glorious handmade yarns and sumptuous llama/alpaca/wool/mohair combinations simply for their beauty. Does a fine art collector have to justify her latest Van Gogh or Rodin? A wine enthusiast his latest Bordeaux? I think not.

My yarn collection, fondly referred to as a "stash" in professional terms, now occupies several vintage cupboards purchased specifically to house it. Each skein is lovingly crammed placed on worn wooden shelves, carefully protected with lavender sachets.

Sometimes I open the cupboard doors and feel giddy just looking at all that wooly loveliness.
My official hobby may be knitting or even "fiber arts" if I want to sound hoity toity.
But my real passion is for the yarn.
Just call me a connoisseur.

No comments: