Thursday, March 1, 2012

Got Flowers?

Early in my treatment for depression, before my therapist knew me well, he tried lots of what I like to call "the little tricks" he learned in "therapy school."
The one that came to mind last week was when he told me to buy myself a flower.
Yeah.
Here I am, sitting in your office, paying you crazy sums, suffering from severe depression, and you want me to buy myself a flower?

Which is pretty much what I told him.  But I didn't stop there.  I let him know in uncertain terms that if I had to buy my own flower, for goodness' sake, I would only feel worse.
I believe this suggestion came shortly after his "go home and take a nice relaxing bath" idea.  At the time I was a mother to four children under 11, one of whom was a toddler.  My husband traveled, my bathtub was dirty, and taking a bath in the afternoon was about the last thing I could do.


I suggested he find out if these trite ideas actually made anyone happier or only increased the anger the patient feels for her therapist's lack of understanding of what life as a stay-at-home mom is like and that if I wanted to feel happier then tell somebody else to buy me a damn flower.
Ahem.
I might have been a bit of a challenge for him.


But that was then and this is now.
Ten years and a decade of selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors later, I have a higher set point of daily happiness.  
Or maybe it's that my depression threshold is lower?
What I mean to say is that now that I'm no longer depressed, I do occasionally enjoy buying myself flowers. Especially this time of year, when it just seems too long to wait for daffodils to bloom.

Ah, Spring.
You do make me happy.

No comments: