Friday, March 9, 2012

Confessions of a lazy laundress

I hate doing laundry.
Actually, I don't mind the sorting and the actual machine loading.
It's the aftermath that does me in.
I hate folding.
Now, when the kids were little, I did fairly well.  At one point I even had four separate laundry baskets each with one child's name. I tended to keep up fairly well, low those many years ago.
Of course, I suppose that would depend on whom you ask.
There was the great Thanksgiving sock-folding standoff of 2002. My parents were visiting and my mom, also known as the laundry fairy, suggested rather strongly that we match and fold the laundry basket full of socks.
She had already folded all the other laundry, swept my driveway, and done up the dishes - and she wanted to tackle those socks.
Back then, a visit from my mom meant lots of straightening, sorting, folding, and cleaning. Never mind that I had done all that before she arrived - there was always more.
I know she did it to be helpful, and it was. Especially when a load of laundry put in to wash in the morning magically appeared folded and ready to put away before noon.
But that year, I had a bit of a bee in my bonnet.
I was finishing up my therapy and felt newly empowered - whether I needed to be or not.
And I decided I wasn't going to fold socks on Thanksgiving.
No matter what.
To say it was a Pyrrhic victory would negate the fact that I ended up with an entire laundry basket of matched and folded socks - a definite plus.
But I was decidedly uncomfortable as I watched my mom and my nephew, who spent his break from Iowa State University with us, do the work for me.
My girls tend to do their own laundry these days, though neither of them has a penchant for folding. I guess the fabric softener sheet doesn't fall far from the dryer... or something to that effect.
My boys bring theirs home from school in a suitcase - wash and dry it - then dump it back in the suitcase to take back with them. And I'm a little appalled that one of them doesn't fold.
Right now Mt. McLaundry awaits my attention on the couch in the living room. Every day another load is added and we rifle through to find what we need.
I really will get to it.
Eventually.

No comments: