Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Shacha*


Two weeks ago we had some snow.
And it was kind of cold for a day or two.
Yesterday it hit 60 degrees here in Iowa.
In January, no less.
Weird.


Unfortunately, it wasn't the right kind of snow for a snowman.
But it was the perfect kind for making a snow Vulcan.


I've loved Star Trek ever since I started watching the reruns on our black and white TV after school when I was in fourth grade.  That, by the way, was a looong time ago.
My older sister and I watched those reruns for years.
She was quite taken with Captain Kirk and was from time to time moved to kiss the TV screen.


I didn't truly appreciate the captain until I was older, and by then, my sister had figured out how to disconnect the TV.  A great weapon to use against me when I wanted to watch Star Trek and she wanted to torment me.
(It's possible she has a different version of this story.)

My kids can't bring themselves to watch the original Star Trek - it moves too slowly and the special effects are too hokey.  My daughters have been enjoying Voyager and we've watched The Next Generation together. 

I can't say that I have a favorite captain.
And frankly, I've always been quite fond of Vulcans.

*"Hello" in Vulcan

No comments: