Monday, March 31, 2008

I've got a secret...

I have to fess up.
I just can't keep this quiet any longer.
It's something we've done half a dozen times so far this year.
My family has gone dumpster-diving.
Yes, despite our comfortable six-figure income (thanks, honey), I have participated, albeit minimally, in the growing movement called Freeganism.
We had a rather tight month in January, as we have been hard at work paying off a sizable consumer debt, when I came across an article about dumpster-diving. Hmmm, could we do that? Eww, could we do that? I brought the subject up with my husband and kids and got a predictable mixture of responses - from gross, to cool, to is that legal? (a little, yeah and absolutely)
I knew my husband would be easy to convince. He'll do anything to save a dime. The consumer debt is primarily my fault, and believe me, I've learned my lesson and reformed my ways. (It was my idea to downsize our housing. See?)
My oldest son, Stephen, is extremely environmentally conscious, and once he was assured of the legality, he was all for it. In fact, he and my husband went on the first foray in the chill depths of January. It seemed like a good time, as any germs would surely be frozen. The first expedition yielded bread from a swanky local bakery, more bread from the grocery store, and packaged pretzels and potato chips (organic, no less) from a small, also swanky, grocery store.
Since then, we've only gone a couple more times. Once my youngest daughter and dh went out and returned with pounds of cherries from the grocery store dumpster. Once they were cleaned and sorted, we snarfed down more Bing cherries that week than I might have bought in July.
I must admit, though it was my idea, I have only gone twice and I don't think I'd have the guts to dive alone. The first time I sat in the car, cowering behind the sun visor as my husband approached a couple guys on the loading dock. They were just about to throw out culled vegetables and let dh go through the boxes first. That trip netted a perfectly fine, organic red pepper, a beautiful eggplant and other assorted veggies.
My second trip was last night on the way to pick up my older daughter from a friend's house. Dh and I stopped again at the dumpster of the swanky bakery. Now, let me clarify: No actual diving is involved. Dh was able to reach loaf after loaf of artisan bread out of the dumpster without even standing on tip-toe. All the loaves, though unwrapped, were on top of boxes and each other. Not a one ever touched the sides, top or bottom of the dumpster.
Granted, this bread was already day-old, but it fit nicely into our freezer and also provided the bread for ham and cheese sandwiches for supper.
Oh, and I stayed in the car again this time, but the doors were open and I didn't cower. Not even a little bit.
I couldn't help but wonder, though, at the obvious wastefulness. With a little sorting, the grocery store and the bakery could easily donate most of the items we have retrieved to a food pantry or homeless shelter. The need is so great and only getting greater. The bakery, certainly, could have donated the 50 or so loaves of bread we found. I would presume they could receive a tax write-off for the full amount as well. In fact, I plan to call them and ask if they've considered making food donations.
Over this past year I have become more and more aware of my own wastefulness and am taking steps to reduce it as much as possible. We've started recycling more, including toilet paper tubes and those plastic containers strawberries come in (I never knew they could be recycled until recently). I think twice before I throw almost anything away, trying to either recycle, re-purpose or give away items I no longer want or need.
I'm know I'm not stopping hunger by retrieving these thrown-away food items. But I get a level of satisfaction in knowing that by using what would otherwise go to waste, I am at least being frugal. At best, I am teaching my children the value of food and the importance of not wasting resources.
I know I'm not going to save the world on my own. But I like to think that by setting an example as best I can, my family's behaviors will influence others.
Oh, and to my friends IRL - don't worry. I don't serve my dumpster delicacies to anyone but my family.

4 comments:

zamozo said...

Gasp! ;-D

Heather's Moving Castle said...

There is a clan of dumpster divers that meet in DM to talk about their finds. I ws going to go to a meeting once. I forget how I learned about the group. How fun!

juliecache said...

You go, girl! I think most businesses would donate their things if they just had someone to transport them to the charities.

Anonymous said...

I'm counting on you to help me find food when things get rough