Friday, August 31, 2012

Splish Splash

This summer Iowa has suffered a drought of epic proportions, as has most of the country it seems.
We made the decision early on to only water our tomatoes and basil; even so, watering that small area of the garden deeply once-a-week increased our water bill by nearly 20 dollars.
But watering did the trick and we've had a reasonable tomato harvest. Basil loves the extreme heat, so it produced well also. So far I've frozen 25 quarts of pesto and maybe 10 of tomato sauces.
It was too hot most of the summer to spend much time outdoors, but we hosted numerous garden parties nonetheless.

The birds loved garden-watering days, often lining up along the puddles waiting their turns.




Must have slipped on the soap





It was well worth the extra money just to watch the show!

3 comments:

Dutch Hollow said...

I don't think I've ever seen a bird get so soaked before! They sure did enjoy the bath.

Judy T said...

I freeze my pesto in ice cube trays. I do everything as usual except for a minimal amount of oil and no cheese. I then put the paste into the trays and freeze it. I pop them out of the trays into a freezer bag and then I can thaw however many cubes I need for what I'm making. Add extra oil and cheese and voila! Just like fresh!
And I LOVE the bird photos.
Judy

Karen said...

It was so much fun to watch them splash!
Judy, I just scoop it into quart-size freezer bags then it's ready to go once thawed. The ice cube tray is a good idea for soups, etc. - we usually can just break off a hunk the size we need.