Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Morning musings

Sitting outside this morning with the dogs, the air is humid, but cool.
I'm even wearing a sweat jacket, though not for long.
It must have rained a wee bit last night as all the lawn chairs are wet. I had to gather towels and a large blanket to keep my rear dry.
My second very large cup of coffee is drained; I contemplate a dash into the house for another, but the droning of freeway traffic in the not-so-far-away distance overlaid by chirruping of crickets is, oddly, too peaceful to disturb.
This breath of cool air is a relief, a herald of cool September mornings soon to come.
The plantings in the yard are ravaged by this summer's drought, but flowers still bloom and the basil is ready for another harvest.
My dogs frolic in the grass, tug-of-war over a stick their only present concern.
A slight breeze and the leaves on overgrown century-old trees rustle gently.
I'm tired and not really looking forward to a day of puppy-watching and errands.
My husband is traveling yet again, so I'm also on night duty.
Friends have become scarce as life became more difficult these past couple of years. C'est la vie.

But right now, right here?
I realize I have all I need.
And I'm happy.

No comments: