Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Shell Game


Ain't they purty?
I'm ridiculously proud of these beans.
Last summer, for the heck of it, we decided to grow some beans. I ordered a couple packages of heirloom beans and a couple packages of black beans.
And grow they did.

It was just about as easy as tossing them out the window and watching them take off, a la Jack.
The only challenges they faced were a certain St. Bernard, who like to reach into the garden and steal them, and the occasional rogue chicken.



I first jar was shelled last fall and was brim-full. I honestly can't say I've noticed a flavor difference between home-grown and store bought, but that may be because I almost always cook my dried beans from scratch.
Sunday, after a little siesta, I came downstairs to find Michael and the girls shelling the rest of the beans.


Apparently, it takes intense concentration. Probably because you have to dodge all the flying beans.



Sarah and Melissa


Melissa and Michael



The un-shelled.


We'll definitely grow more beans this summer. I hope we can work to maximize our growing space yet again - it's been a work in progress since we moved here 3 1/2 years ago. Someday, I hope to have enough room for a huge garden so I can grow whatever I want. That someday is likely not so far away anymore...

In the meantime, I'll just have to be patient and content myself with only 5 jars of beans.
The problem is, they're so pretty, it's hard to make myself use them!

4 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Honestly, I had never really wondered where dried beans came from before! That was really educational! I love to eat beans. But grow them and then shell them? Wow! You all are die-hards. :O)

Anonymous said...

As you said, I wish I wish I wish I had the space to grow more! And someday is pretty far I think. But all the same, I'm impressed by your beans :-) How much did you plant to get this amount of dried beans? The nice thing about growing I think is all the varieties that are possible. I'm lucky to have a local farm that grows beans to dry and sell, but the variety is limited. Any favorite bean so far?

Karen said...

Hmm, favorite bean? I'd have to say the heirloom ones - those are the pretty ones in the front jar. I, of course, dont' remember the variety (bad gardener!), but they are just so pretty! I ordered two small packages from Seed Savers Exchange and bought a package of black beans off the shelf - we really didn't plant much at all, and like, I said, totally ignored them. I hope dh can help me figure out a way to plant more in the space we have available. I'm thinking bush beans could be planted in amongst flowers, etc.
Heather - it was easy, easy, easy!!! I bet your boys would have fun shelling them, too!

Heather's Moving Castle said...

I have grown my own green beans before when Holden was 2. That was fun. I thought they were yummy straight off the plant! One day we will have a petting zoo full of pets and a garden when the kids are much older, like almost having kids older. lol. But travel is coming first for a few years. So thanks for the future inspiration!