Sunday, January 10, 2010

Goodbyes


There we are, the whole gang, at the Des Moines Botanical Center in December.
For most people, it seems, the new year started on January 1. But for me, the new year always seems to start when it's time to say goodbye.
Zachary just left today to head back to Iowa State where classes start tomorrow. Stephen has one more week before his classes start. He graduates from college this spring.
Sarah will be home this semester while we try to conquer her migraine pain, but the time for her goodbyes is fast approaching. She'll be 17 in April, with college right around the corner.
And though Melissa will just turn 13 in March, I know how fast six years can speedy by.
There were a couple of times this holiday break that I purposely stopped to form an image in my mind of the whole family together, laughing, joking, loving each other.
I know we'll have many, many, more times together, but life is just around the corner, with marriages, travel, work. Who knows how long before the parameters of our nuclear family change and grow.
Not that this is a bad thing; I know we'll stay happy and strong even as we add more members. It's just that, well, things will change.
And when they do, I know I'll be ready to embrace those changes with open arms. Can anyone say "grandchildren?"
Last spring when we pulled out of my mom's driveway in Arkansas, our week-long visit ended, I watched as she stood by the garage waiving her goodbyes.
Just a few years ago, my dad was standing next to her.
Thirty years ago, my grandpa stood by his garage, waiving, and ten years before that, my grandmother stood with him.
Someday it will be my turn to stand by the garage, waiving goodbye to those I hold so dear in my heart. I can only hope that circumstances keep us close, in distance and in love.
I have to admit, though, I am sooo glad those years are not yet here.

1 comment:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Posts like this one make me want to hug my boys and help me to remember how temporary this time is with them at home. Nice photo too!