Saturday, May 12, 2007

Farmer's Market Today!

I'm still not good at making sure I have the camera with me, taking pictures, etc. Hopefully, once I gain more technological savvy, this will become second nature.

Today was the opening day of the Des Moines Downtown Farmer's Market. Hundreds of vendors are there selling everything from plants and flowers to vegetables to hand-made jewelry and pottery. We were able to load up on what I hope will be enough locally grown produce to last the week. Our haul included spring garlic, scallions, radishes, lettuce, spinach, fresh mint, pea greens, carrots, strawberries and morrel mushrooms! Yum!

In case you're wondering - what the heck? Strawberries in Iowa now? Your suspicion is justified - it definitely is too early for most of these crops to be ready had they been grown directly in the garden. These local farmers used cold frames, greenhouses, etc., to have early crops.

Unfortunately, one does have to be careful and ask about things like this. The Des Moines Farmer's Market, unlike the market in Fayetteville, Arkansas, does not require that all foods sold be locally grown or produced. So, today there were strawberries, musk melon, watermelons, zucchini and all manner of other fruits and vegetables from California at our LOCAL market. I wonder if some poor souls who are clueless about their food think these are locally produced as well?

Anyway, breakfast was a bountiful feast made completely from locally grown foods. I sauteed some sliced garlic with a few sliced morrels in butter, then added the locally harvested pasture raised chicken eggs mixed with local milk, salt and pepper. Once these were cooked, I added some locally produced feta cheese and allowed it to melt together. Accompanied by two of the quarts of strawberries and tall glasses of milk, we were in heaven!

We had to make several trips to the car, with all the above produce and to haul our 65 pounds of flours, corn meal, rice, etc. Paul's Grains grows most of the flours, corn meal, oats, etc., that they sell in a sustainable and organic manner. Other items, such as brown rice are brought in from elsewhere, but are organically grown. I'd rather give this small, local farmer the little bit of profit than a chain grocery store. We called the night before to place our order and were told the flour was being ground as we were speaking!

Yesterday, we got our first CSA delivery. It was a small bundle, but included asparagus, scallions and rhubarb. So far, I've made a rhubarb cake - so good!

2 comments:

zamozo said...

I saw that they had record crowds at the Farmer's Market this morning. That's why I don't go.

Karen said...

We were there when they opened and left by 8:15, so I guess we beat the crowds. It really was a lovely morning and I was able to find everything I wanted.