Tuesday, February 17, 2015

#100HAPPYDAYS - Day 28 Bookish


My cousin is paring down her possessions and sent me this wonderful old book, full of sage advice on health and home, with topics such as keeping one's figure, home remedies for worms(!) and contagious diseases, social etiquette, and how to clean lace.
I can't help but ponder the many hands that have turned these pages and the thoughts and actions this book may have inspired.
It must have been precious to many people to have survived more than 100 years.
Without intention, I found my niche as a "homemaker," though when my youngest heads off to college in the fall I think I'm going to call myself a retired educational facilitator instead.
I shouldn't be embarrassed or discomfited by my love for things domestic, yet society still tends to devalue the import of homemaking.
It sounds kind of silly to admit how much satisfaction I find in making my own bread, putting together a delicious meal, or surveying the jars of homemade pasta sauces on my shelves.
Today I'll peruse this old, timeworn book and feel a kinship with other women from long ago; and be thankful that I don't need to know how to treat diphtheria or destroy lice on cattle.
Though I may take a look at how to remove wrinkles...

No comments: