Thursday, February 23, 2012

Winter's Blooms


Yesterday.
February 22,  2012.
We spotted the first crocus in our yard.


 In case that didn't sink in, I said flowers blooming in Iowa in February.


I'm sure this isn't the first time this has ever happened, but in the 20-plus years I've lived in Iowa I don't remember another winter that's been this warm and devoid of snow.


We haven't had a single below zero temperature reading all winter.  We've only had one somewhat significant snowfall and even it didn't hang around very long.


Believe me, I'm not complaining.
When the temperature hit 50-something earlier this week my daughter and I walked around the lake without our coats and were quite comfortable.


Today it's back down to the upper 30s, but it's raining, not snowing.
Spring is just around the corner.  I'm looking forward to it just as much as if we'd had a terribly cold and snowy winter.


Mother Nature sure knows how to make me smile!

2 comments:

Judy T said...

I haven't seen any crocuses- but I haven't looked either. I'm too frightened to check out my daffodils. This has been such a bizarre winter- but my heating bill is happy.
Judy

Karen said...

I know what you mean! Our daffodils are coming up, but still quite a ways from blooming... but, I see in today's paper that it's supposed to hit 50 degrees here in Des Moines on Sunday!