Thursday, November 19, 2009

Things that go "BANG" in the night...

Or, maybe it's time for my great "social" experiment to end.
Let me explain.
Last night we came home from a delightful family dinner in Ames, though we discovered a disturbing lack of decent dessert options at Carlos O'Kelly's. Anyway, we were all off doing our own thing - computer for Michael, reading for Melissa and me, Sarah was cleaning the litter boxes - when multiple loud bangs rang out next door.
Now, these weren't "pop-pop" sounds but were real "bang, bangs." I didn't want to believe it was shots ringing out, but what else could it be? 10-15 in a row M-80s?
That's what dh thought, until he looked out the window and saw a patrol car several houses down with its lights flashing.
We knew then that we needed to call the police, who took our information about where to look. Not long after, the police were in our neighbor's yard with flashlights, trying to find shell casings. Thankfully, no one was injured (as far as we know), but we could hear one of our neighbors yelling as more and more cars and young men began to fill the street.
Right after dh climbed in bed and we turned out the lights, the doorbell rang. Reminding my too-trusting dh not to open the door unless it was the police, he grabbed his robe and ran downstairs. He invited the officer in - actually, he asked to step in - and repeated what we'd told the cops on the phone.
He said they'd found several shell casings, but with so many "alleged" gang members showing up, he and his partner were waiting for back up.
Later, we noticed a police car with lights flashing in the alley, and another police vehicle parked across our driveway. They stayed for several hours, though I don't know what they found, if anything.
Now, could this have happened in other, less economically stressed neighborhoods? Undoubtedly. But this is the third time in a week there has been noticeable police presence on our street.
I just now heard a commotion outside and looked down the street to see a small group of people - mostly young men and a couple of children - being harangued by an older woman in a house dress and slippers. Oh, and she was wielding a wrench, no less.
Yes, I said "house dress," but that's not really the point.
I don't like living in a neighborhood where drug deals go down regularly at the park, aggressive dogs run free, and gun shots ring out in the night.
Now, we've discovered that most people here are just plain folks; friendly, helpful, and just living their lives.
But there's just too much of the other "element" for my comfort.
Besides, I don't want to end up in a house dress and slippers wielding a wrench at gang members any time soon.

7 comments:

zamozo said...

You in a house dress? Funny visualization! So, are you planning a move?

Karen said...

Oh, I wish. There's a little stumbling block called "money..." I think we're in the early stages of preparing to move as soon as we're able.

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Sounds like you have reached your limit. I know you were feeling stressed when the whole dog incident happened, but this seems a lot scarier for sure.

Hugs and much inner peace.

~Heather :O)

juliecache said...

warm hugs and strength to you!

Mama Podkayne said...

As you know, I've been there. Actually not too far from there. LOL

Life in the country is less expensive, less stressful, and closer to heaven, IME. It is cheaper for us to live here and still pay mortgage on our DM house than it was to actually live in the DM house. (It is still for sale).

Claire MW said...

Oh my word....this is dreadful! Makes me very appreciative of my out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere home, but sometimes that can be a problem too, because law enforcement or fire trucks could take a long time to arrive in an emergency. Still, I prefer it to the drug deal option.

I do think it's cheaper in the long run, unless you overload on sheep (errr...well...yes....) and living outside of town has so many other lovely benefits. I hope when you decide to move you will consider escaping the city!

Karen said...

Thanks, everyone. We found out that the incident was a rival gang shooting out the car windows, etc., of the gang that hangs out next door... and they seemed like such nice boys ... lol!
Seriously, I wish we could move tomorrow, but I don't think that's possible at this point. My dream has always been to own a little piece of paradise in the country... maybe we'll be able to do that sooner than we thought...