Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Temptation

I aint got no "stick-to-it-iveness.
In other words, I have difficulty with long-term planning.
When I decide to make a change, whether it be rearranging the furniture, landscaping the yard, or getting rid of our debt, I want it to happen now.
Or preferably 5 minutes ago.
We've been working hard on our consumer debt, having paid off $21,000 since January. I've had a few splurges here and there, so we're actually about $1,000 behind where I wanted to be, but the goal of being out of consumer debt in two years is still within reach.
I've been driving myself crazy for the last 6 months cruising money and debt blogs, couponing, and plugging our numbers into debt calculators.
Over and over and over again.
Repeatedly.
Our success so far is really quite remarkable, but it's that remaining balance that nags at me. Last week I decided to start accumulating all the "found" money - insurance reimbursements, rebates, etc., and put them toward our debt. We had two reimbursements and a store return that equaled $176. I immediately applied them to our largest debt, which is our primary focus.
Ah, but temptation never fails to rear its ugly head. Also last week, the pressure canner I've been eyeing since last season went on sale - 40% off - at Amazon. At $179 it still wasn't cheap, but it's the top of the line and I've been dying to can my own beans.
I know.
I have issues.
Anyway, I ordered the canner, plus a couple new books about canning. This was all made easier by my new Amazon charge card, which Zach and I used to purchase his fall textbooks, saving him boucoup bucks, plus an additional $30 off the first purchase.
But you see, having that Amazon credit card provided me with the means to buy what I hadn't budgeted for this month and put the bill off until next month.
Now, in the past, I wouldn't have planned to pay it off right away the next month; instead the debt would have continued to grow. So at least I'm getting better about my splurges in that regard.
The canner arrived and I was giddy with excitement.
For about 15 minutes.
Then I looked at next month's budget which includes new shoes for the girls, tuition payments, home repairs, car repair.
Gulp.
Suddenly, that canner no longer made me happy.
Instead, it was a symbol of my lack of self-restraint. The canner isn't a necessity, but a luxury, that right now I can't afford.
A quick trip to the computer and I printed off the return tags for the canner and books and asked Michael to please, quickly, whisk them out of my sight before I changed my mind.
And you know what? I still feel a little sad about not being able to can my own beans, but that is far outweighed by the fact that I made a sound financial decision.
We will be out of debt in two years.
I just have to stay strong and think of how good it will feel to buy that pressure canner with actual cash on hand.

1 comment:

juliecache said...

YOU CAN DO IT! BE STRONG!