Monday, June 23, 2008

One Local Summer, Week 4


I'm working hard to empty out my freezer, hence cauliflower cheese pie. The cauliflower is locally grown, frozen last summer. I can't believe the flavor difference with locally grown cauliflower - it's just fabulous. The cheese, eggs, milk, onions and basil are all local as well. The crust is made from locally grown potatoes - the first I've seen at the farmer's market so far this year.
The only non-local ingredients in this dish are salt and pepper and the olive oil used when pre-baking the crust.
I'm counting the paprika as local, since my husband bought it in Hungary last year on a business trip!!


The side salad is made from locally-grown, roasted eggplant and peppers. After roasting, it is then marinated in olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Unfortunately, it sounds much better than it tastes! It was only an OK recipe, so I won't be making it again.

The tomatoes are also local.



Dessert was angel food cake and strawberries. The only non-local ingredients were sugar, vanilla and salt.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

It all looks wonderful! Even the eggplant. Too bad it was disappointing. Still, looks like it was a great meal.

Sara said...

Please post the recipe for the cauliflower cheese pie!

Anonymous said...

Fresh strawberries on angela food cakes sounds great.
deaste