Sunday, June 8, 2008

One Local Summer - Week 2

Actually, this might only be week 1, but this is my second week of One Local Summer.
This week's meal included eggplant parmegiana, salad and red wine.

Dessert was strawberries and cream. A little bit of heaven!


Local ingredients included the eggplant from Maharishi Organic Vegetables in Fairfield, Ia.; local tomatoes, basil and oregano; fresh mozarella cheese from Gateway Market in Des Moines; lettuce and spring onions from our garden and CSA; edible flowers from our garden; local strawberries from a vendor at The Des Moines Farmer's Market; Iowa-made red wine; and cream from Picket Fence Creamery, in Woodward, Iowa.

The only non-local ingredients were salt, pepper, salad dressing, and a sprinkling of sugar on the strawberries.

4 comments:

juliecache said...

OK, I thought more. We just used our last locally grown chicken (it was a huge one, too). If you are interested in having some worm castings for your new strawberry plants, let me know. I just harvested some last month. We have surplus.

juliecache said...

I am still stuck on the Paul's Grains deal. I cannot imagine me making a local meal unless I have something from Paul's. Did you order from the website or drive out there because I don't see it in the stores?

Karen said...

Julie,
We have bought from Paul's at farmer's markets in the past. Recently, while waiting for them to come to the Des Moines Farmer's Market, I've found their flours at Gateway Market. When I do buy from them, I usually buy in bulk and keep the extra in the freezer.
Go their website and they should have listed when they will next be at local farmer's markets.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to start growing my spring greens again.
bifibe