Friday, May 4, 2012

Thankfulness

I've been a little down-in-the-dumps today.
You know, just generally feeling sorry for myself.
Focusing on the negative.
Not that this is unusual for me, as I definitely have the dominant version of the cynicism gene.
I didn't wake up feeling glum, but something happened this morning that set the tone for the whole day.
It was horrible and I'm not yet ready to write about it (don't worry - no one is hurt or anything).
But it was the straw the broke the proverbial camel's back.
Or should that be the "proverbial straw" or, for that matter, the camel's "proverbial back?"
But I digress.
The point is that I've not been the happiest of campers today, but looking at these pictures sort of helped me change my focus.

First, that gorgeous pitcher? We bought it at a potter's shop in Arkansas several years ago on a family trip to visit my mom. Seeing it conjures up happy memories of the trip, my mom, my family, and that I just plain love this pitcher.
And I really love the sunny shade of yellow we painted our kitchen.
The tall red cupboard is something that really makes me happy. It may not be as functional as a modern pantry cupboard, but it houses dishes and small appliances just fine and it's red; a color that I never much cared for but that I have grown to appreciate in the past 5 years or so. Plus, it's old, and I love old things. I find great joy in using an old cupboard that graced other kitchens long passed.
Then of course there's the brick behind the cupboard. This brick wall was discovered when we remodeled our kitchen upon moving into this old house nearly 6 years ago. It had long been covered up by drywall. When the workman found it and called me in to see it I was ecstatic! This was behind the original cookstove in my 1904 house! I love how it the exposed brick adds a touch of primitiveness to my kitchen.
To the right of the cupboard is my funky repurposed hanger-jobber (to use the technical term). You can't really see it, but it's just an old board with three different antique doorknobs attached as hangers. I've had this for years and was delighted to find a good use for it as my apron-hanger.
Then of course there are my aprons. I think I could become a collector of aprons, though I haven't allowed myself the luxury. I like full-bib aprons and wear them often, though usually not until I've already spilled something on myself!
Above this are some old advertisements for kitchen goods. I like how everything fits in.
To the left of the cupboard are clay pieces my daughters made as little girls at our art center. Every time I look at them I remember my little girls. I think these might have been Mother's Day gifts.
Last, but definitely not least, are the flowers themselves.
Of course they are pretty and I like having bouquets in the house.
But what I'm most thankful for is the daughter who picked them for me, arranged them in a favorite pitcher, and took pictures of them.
So, even though it's easy to focus on the bad and the ugly, it sure is outweighed by the good.
I just have to take time to see it all around me.

No comments: