Monday, February 8, 2010

Thanks, Betty


Potato Buns.
Need I say more?
These delectable, slightly-sweet dinner rolls are a family favorite.
And who do I have to thank for this fantastic recipe?
Betty, of course.
Betty Crocker.
Yes, thanks to Betty's 1956 cookbook, I have fabulous recipes for cakes, pies, and good-old-standbys like raspberry shrub and tuna casserole.
But that's not all Betty had to offer. The book is chock-full of helpful hints for the happy housewife, such as "Wear comfortable clothes and properly fitted shoes while working around the house."
No more high heels and skirts for me!
And this helpful hint for a good personal outlook: "Every morning before breakfast, comb hair, apply make-up, a dash of cologne, and perhaps some simple earrings. Does wonders for your morale."
I don't think Betty would want to experience my morale before my morning coffee.
But most of Betty's recipes are just the bees knees, especially potato buns, which are actually called "Potato Refrigerator Rolls."
Yes, that's right, the dough for these rolls, and most other breads, for that matter, can be made in advance and kept refrigerated. I often make a batch of bread dough and stick it in the fridge overnight for baking later the next day. The cold of the refrigerator inhibits the growth of the yeast. Once you bring the dough back to room temperature, it will continue to rise.
The great thing about these rolls, however, is their versatility and that they only need 2 hours out of the refrigerator to come to room temperature.
When I made this batch of rolls, I doubled the recipe and ended up with enough dinner rolls for two meals (one for that night, one for later) and enough dough for a Swedish Tea Ring.



So, without further adieu, I present Betty Crocker's Potato Refrigerator Rolls.

Measure into mixing bowl: 1 1/2 cups warm water and 1 package active dry yeast, stir to dissolve
Stir in: 2/3 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 2/3 cup shortening, 2 eggs, 1 cup lukewarm mashed potatoes
Mix in by hand until dough is easy to handle: 7 to 7 1/2 cups white flour

Turn onto lightly floured board, knead until smooth and elastic. Placed greased-side-up in greased bowl.. Cover with damp cloth; place in refrigerator for 3-5 days. About 2 hours before baking, shape dough into rolls, coffee cakes, etc. Cover and let rise until double, about 1 1/2-2 hours. Bake in 400 oven for 12-15 minutes.
Makes about 4 dozen rolls.




Oh, and they also make great fake McMuffins!

4 comments:

Frugal Sara said...

Ohh my those sound yummy I love my Betty Crocker Cookbook. My version is 1989. I use it ALOT!

Karen said...

The version I have is the one my mother-in-law used when my husband was a child - she had 12 children and was a farm wife!!

Claire MW said...

Gosh those look yummy. I'd even eat them without combing my hair, putting on make-up and wearing simple earrings!!

Thanks for your comment on my spinning blog post! I'd be happy to show your daughter how to spin. She would be more than welcome to borrow my Louet wheel for a while. I use it primarily for plying, so she could use it to figure out if she really likes it before investing in her own wheel.

Karen said...

Oh, yippee! I'm thinking maybe in April, when we don't have to worry about weather (I hope!) - thank you so much!